When you elect to have hair restoration surgery, also called a hair transplant, or even FUE hair restoration, you can expect the process to be very similar to any other surgical procedure. Here is a rundown of what you can expect before, during, and after your surgery.
Before The Surgery
Most hair transplant procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, which means you will be able to go home the same day as your surgery.
However, in some cases, an overnight stay may be necessary. Prior to your surgery, you will meet with your surgeon to discuss your goals and expectations.
He or she will also perform a physical examination and order any necessary tests, such as blood work or a scalp biopsy.
Once all of the pre-operative testing’s are complete, your surgeon will give you specific instructions on how to prepare for surgery.
This will include information on when to stop eating and drinking, as well as which medications and supplements to avoid in the days leading up to your procedure.
The Day Of Surgery
On the day of your surgery, you will need to arrive at the facility where your procedure is being performed early in the morning.
You will likely be given a sedative to help you relax prior to surgery. Your hair will then be trimmed short in the donor area, which is typically the back of the head.
Next, the surgeon will create recipient sites, which are small incisions made in the balding areas of the scalp. Once the incisions have been made, the surgeon will carefully insert individual hair follicles into the incisions.
In some cases, the surgeon may also use a technique called follicular unit extraction (FUE) to harvest hair follicles from the donor area.
After the grafts have been placed, the incisions will be closed with stitches or staples. A dressing will then be applied to help protect the grafts as they heal.
The entire surgery usually takes 4-8 hours to complete, although this will vary depending on the number of grafts being transplanted.
Recovery And Results
Immediately after your surgery, you can expect to feel some discomfort as well as numbness in the treated area.
These sensations are normal and should subside within a few days. You will also have some swelling and bruising, which will peak after two to three days and then gradually resolve over the next week or so.
You will need to take it easy for the first few days following your surgery, but you should be able to return to your normal activities within a week.
It is important to avoid strenuous activity and contact sports for at least four weeks after surgery to give the grafts time to heal properly.
Most people see a noticeable improvement in their hair growth within 3-6 months after surgery. However, it can take up to a year for the full effects of the procedure to be seen. Once new hair growth occurs, it will continue to grow indefinitely just like your natural hair.
Benefits Of Hair Restoration Surgery
There are many benefits of hair restoration surgery, including the following:
- It can help you feel more confident. Losing your hair can be a blow to your self-esteem. Hair restoration surgery can help you feel better about yourself and your appearance.
- It can improve your appearance. If you’re unhappy with the way you look due to hair loss, hair restoration surgery can give you the results you desire. You’ll be able to enjoy a fuller head of hair that looks natural.
- It can be used to correct a medical condition. If you have a medical condition that’s causing your hair loss, such as alopecia, hair restoration surgery can help to correct the problem.
- It can be used to restore hair loss due to trauma. If you’ve lost your hair due to an accident or other trauma, hair restoration surgery can help to bring back what you’ve lost.
- It can give you a more youthful appearance. As we age, our hair often begins to thin and recede. Hair restoration surgery can help to give you a more youthful look by restoring lost hair.
- It can be used to correct genetic defects. If you’re born with a genetic defect that causes hair loss, hair restoration surgery can help to correct the problem.
- It can be used to improve your quality of life. If you’re unhappy with your appearance due to hair loss, hair restoration surgery can help to improve your quality of life. You’ll be able to feel better about yourself and your appearance.
- It’s a permanent solution. Once you’ve had hair restoration surgery, you won’t have to worry about your hair loss anymore. The results are permanent.
- It’s safe and effective. Hair restoration surgery is a safe and effective way to regain a full head of hair.
- It’s affordable. Hair restoration surgery is an affordable option for many people.
If you’re considering hair restoration surgery, be sure to consult with a qualified surgeon. He or she will be able to answer any questions you have and help you make an informed decision about whether or not this type of surgery is right for you.
Risks And Complications Associated With Hair Restoration Surgery
Hair restoration surgery is a popular procedure that can help people achieve a fuller, more youthful appearance. However, as with any surgery, there are certain risks and complications associated with hair restoration surgery.
The most common complication of hair restoration surgery is infection. Although the risk of infection is relatively low, it is important to be aware of the potential for this complication.
Symptoms of an infection may include redness, swelling, pain, and drainage from the incision site. If you experience any of these symptoms, it is important to contact your doctor immediately.
Another potential complication of hair restoration surgery is scarring. The risk of scarring is highest with the use of stitches to close the incisions.
The type of scars that can occur include hypertrophic scars, which are raised and thickened, and keloid scars, which are large and lumpy.
In most cases, these scars will fade over time. However, if they are particularly severe, they may require treatment with steroids or surgery.
- Hair Loss
Finally, it is possible to experience hair loss after hair restoration surgery. This is usually temporary and typically occurs within the first few months after surgery.
In some cases, however, hair loss can be permanent. If you are concerned about the possibility of hair loss after your surgery, it is important to discuss this with your doctor beforehand.
Overall, the risks and complications associated with hair restoration surgery are relatively low. However, as with any surgery, it is important to be aware of the potential for these complications.
If you experience any symptoms of an infection or scarring, it is important to contact your doctor immediately.
Additionally, if you are concerned about hair loss after your surgery, it is important to discuss this with your doctor beforehand.
By understanding the risks and complications associated with hair restoration surgery, you can help ensure that you have a successful surgery and a safe recovery.
Did you know that a free consultation with one of our specialists is available? Stop dreaming and start living your best life today by getting an FUE hair restoration. With this procedure, it’s possible to have your hair restored again in just eight hours!
Considering a hair transplant?
If you are considering hair transplant surgery, be sure to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience performing the procedure.
He or she will be able to answer any questions you have and help you determine if you are a good candidate for surgery. At Concord Hair Florida, we can provide you with a virtual hair consultation or an in-person hair restoration consultation. Take your pick and contact us today!